Penn State scandal opens questions around WTAMU

A college scandal that rocked the nation over the last week was brought even more into focus by the behavior of its students after the news that their football coach had been removed from his position.

After a week of widespread speculation on what Penn State officials would do with head coach Joe Paterno when it was revealed that he knew about sex abuse allegations involving former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, the scandal was rocked with more news.

It was first announced by Paterno he would be retiring from coaching at the end of the season. However, vice-chairman John Surma of the Penn State Board announced in a press conference on Nov. 9 that Paterno and university President Graham Spanier had been fired, effective immediately.Within minutes of the news, students gathered in support of the legendary head coach. But the gathering quickly turned into a riot with supporters throwing rocks, turning over at least one TV news van, and shouting support for the ousted coach.

But some people around the country wondered if the riot was going a little too far in support of Paterno.

“I feel it’s almost like they are putting aside what [Joe Paterno] has done just because of his status and success. It’s almost like they’re excusing [his behavior] by rioting,” Environmental Science junior Morgen Ayers said.

The movement also had people questioning how much sway college sports had on Penn State’s students and fans, especially with more focus on the football coach than the victims involved.

“I feel that a sport being put in front of the victims is wrong,” Public Relations junior Shannon Gray said. “It’s a child and it will affect the rest of his life whether people think he is a tough kid and he can move on or whatever. The fact that people are focusing on the fact the football team doesn’t have a coach rather than what this has done to the families isn’t right.”

The scandal hasn’t just affected those on the football team or the students of Penn State. Some former athletes are wondering what they would do if their coach was involved.

“I think I would be shocked and disappointed. I don’t think I would want to play for that coach anymore, so if they did complete the season I probably wouldn’t have the heart to want to play for them,” former volleyball player and Electronic Media junior Alyssa Hanley said.

While there is still a lot of action left to be taken in this case, Penn State has attempted to move on. The team played their first football game since the removal of their coach on Nov. 12, losing to Nebraska 17-14.