University prepares for another zombie invasion

Zombies are scheduled to attack campus-wide on March 28 through April 1. “Humans vs. Zombies,” sponsored by RHA, is returning for a second year, largely in part to its great success last year.

“Over 250 people played last year,” Nicole Moore, RHA president, said. “We had a lot of really positive feedback and everyone had a really good time.”

The Humans vs. Zombies committee is expecting an increase of players this year.

“We think the game will be a lot bigger this year,” Moore said. “We’re expecting at least 300 players.”Moore said the more players there are, the more fun the game will be and she insists that it’s not “just a boy’s game.”

Chance Autry, committee member and former zombie, can attest to the enjoyment and social networking of the game.

“I loved the game last year,” Autry said. “I got to make a lot of new friends that I wouldn’t have met otherwise.”

A mandatory preliminary meeting will take place at 8 p.m. on March 20 and 21 in the Virgil Henson Activity Center Ballroom.

If a student is unable to make either of the mandatory meetings, he or she can make arrangements to meet with an RHA officer to get registered.

During the meeting, players will be registered online, receive their bandanas that were made specifically for this year’s game and informed of all rules. Players must be a WT student and should bring their Nerfblasters, which will be used to stun the zombies, to the meeting for approval.

Autry brought his previous zombie experience to the table to help with planning this year’s event.

“My experiences from last year helped us come up with ways to make the game more fun for everyone,” Autry said. “Since I was a zombie, I knew what they liked and disliked about the game, so I brought that before the committee.”

While registering, a player can opt to be the “original zombie,” who will be hand-selected by the committee.

“There is one original zombie who poses as a human and tags people secretively,” Moore said.

She explained that the goal of the zombies is to change all humans into zombies and the goal of the humans is to complete the final mission.

“The game revolves around an original story plot that the committee came up with,” Moore said. “The plot has changed and the missions are different.”

Missions, ranging from easy to hard, are relayed via email about an hour prior to when the mission takes place. Zombies are emailed hints about the missions, such as the location.

“Part of the fun is the missions,” Moore said. “Not participating in the missions won’t give players the full experience of the game.”

Some missions offer rewards, such as extra blasters or grenades, and some are just for the fun of the game.

All academic buildings, parking lots and streets are off limits and play is limited to campus. However, residence halls are fair game and the game can be played at all hours of the night.

RHA will moderate and referee the game and all players must be wearing the designated bandana while playing.

Autry encourages involvement in the game because it gives students a chance to meet new people.

“If you want to meet new people and have fun doing it, this game is for you,“ Autry said. “You get to make new friends and shoot your old ones.”

Shirts will be available for $5 and can be ordered through Residential Living.