Military Appreciation Week at WTAMU

Bulletin Board supporting Veterans.
Bulletin Board supporting Veterans.

West Texas A&M University was named as one of the top military-friendly universities by Military Advanced Education (KMI Media Group) and G.I. Jobs magazine. WTAMU is an institution that provides many opportunities for prospective military students that includes scholarships, waivers and exemptions for dependents, tuition assistance, transferability of credits and online degree offerings.

WT counts on different resources to support veterans and one of those is the West Texas A&M Veterans Network, an organization created with the purpose of keeping  strong communication among veteran students while they attend  college.

Because of the National Veterans Day, the WTAMU Veterans Network, with the help of different supporting organizations, has hosted the military appreciation week.

“The military appreciation week is about letting people know that veterans are out there, here on campus, and it is also a way to show them that we appreciate what they have done,” Maira Ruiz, a senior Sport and Exercise Sciences major and member of the Veterans Network, said.

The Veterans Network organized different events during the week, starting with the WTAMU Military Veterans Appreciation Football game on Nov. 10.

The Veterans Network also hosted a showing of the movie “Honor Flight” on Nov. 12 at 6:30 p.m. in Legacy Hall, where donations were accepted for the local “Honor Flight” program, created to honor America’s veterans for all their sacrifices by taking them to the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. twice a year.

On Nov. 14 at the JBK commons, members of the Veterans Network, with support of the Sigma Nu fraternity, were raising money for the Wounded Warrior Project, which serves veterans and service members who incurred a physical or mental injury, illness, or wound, co-incident to their military service on or after September 11, 2001, and their families.

“They help them to adjust back to everyday living after the war,” Ruiz said.

The Veterans Network held the Military Veteran´s Scholarship Ball on Nov. 15 at Legacy Hall. The scholarship benefit celebrated the military service of the student veterans, which featured Retired Brigadier General Jesse R. Cross as a Distinguished Guest Speaker.

In addition, the Veterans Network placed in the commons of the JBK the WTAMU “Warrior Wall,” a board with pictures of the WT veterans along with a brief description of their services. This “Warrior Wall” included Dr. J. Patrick O´Brien, the President of the University.

“Students show a fraction of the amount of veterans on campus and show appreciation for their services,” said Leo Reid, Coordinator of Veterans Services. “Veterans, students, faculty and staff also had a reception at the President´s House on Nov. 11.