NCAA makes big changes for college athletes

As of Tuesday October 29, 2019,  the National Collegiate Athletic Association has begun the process of changing their official rules in regards to college athletes to receive compensation for their images, names, and likeness.  

This decision came after a unanimous vote from top members of the NCAA’s governing board. The NCAA’s decision to begin this process was a shock for many as the previous NCAA rules strictly prohibited any form of athletes receiving profits for their likeness. 

Prior to this decision, athletes and athletic programs that received any form of compensation or profit for a college athlete’s likeness or image would receive some form of punishment. Initially, these rules that were implemented were to be followed by all three divisions within the NCAA. Now that the rules are changing, each division will have to eventually form their own set of rules. 

ESPN reported that the NCAA board wants each division to have a set of rules for implementation by January 2021. Though this change has been brought to the table, there is still much debating and decision making to go in order to make sure that all of the changes being made “should make sure student-athletes have the same opportunities to make money as all other students, maintain the priorities of education and the collegiate experience, and ensure that rules are ‘transparent, focused and enforceable’ and do not create a competitive imbalance.”

This new decision also helps out the states that have already put or were in the process of putting these types of rules into place. California was the first official state to propose and approve a law allowing for college athletes to profit. Other states such as Florida and Ohio were quick to jump in and propose laws as well. 

In a statement released by the NCAA, the association emphasized the guidelines that go with this new ruling that “Assure student-athletes are treated similarly to non-athlete students unless a compelling reason exists to differentiate,” and “Make clear the distinction between collegiate and professional opportunities.” 

For the complete list of guidelines and the full statement from the NCAA, visit this link.

Many seem to be very hot or cold on the situation. While some see this as a great opportunity for college players to profit from the hard work they put into the various athletic programs, others see this decision as negative and believe that this decision will ultimately ruin college sports as a whole. 

Regardless of what anyone believes or thinks, in the end the college athletes and athletic programs are the ones that are affected the most by this ruling. The long-term effects and consequences that come with this decision will ultimately fall on the NCAA. All everyone else can do is sit back and see how the monumental change pans out. Until then, we can sit back and continue photoshopping covers for NCAA Football 2021.