New football jerseys spark attention across campus

James Abel
Press Pass Sports

The jersey a team wears is often the first impression that a team gives to their fans. The West Texas A&M University football team recently unveiled a new jersey for this season. The new jerseys added to the lineup are gray and usually worn with white or maroon bottoms. The new jerseys were seen for the first time at WT’s first home game on Sept. 9 and had many team members and students talking about how they looked on the field.

WT senior Isaac Castillo had a very positive view of the new uniforms. 

“I really liked them, I liked the gray, it was different,” Castillo said. “I saw when they unveiled them that it was gray and I thought it was cool because it’s not a main color, but it’s more of an accent color.” 

When the new uniforms first hit the field, some people in attendance felt surprised at the color of the jerseys worn by the players, such as WT sophomore Alyzea Logsdon who felt thrown off by the color of the uniforms. 

“It wasn’t what I was expecting it to be; they looked really nice. It just kind of threw me off because I was expecting this maroon team color to come out and it wasn’t,” Logsdon said.

When asked what colors she thought looked best on the Buffs she explained, “the maroons, but that’s really the only ones I’ve ever seen,” Logsdon said.

As someone who wears the jersey, outside linebacker Darius Carlson liked the gray and white combo the new jerseys had, but thinks solid colors are a better overall look. 

“I thought they were fire, really,” Carlson said. “I liked the combo with the gray on the white, but me personally, I like when we go all gray, or all white, or all maroon. I think it looks more complete.”

Castillo said that the new jerseys could have had an impact on student turnout. “Yeah I think it could, because the new jerseys, if they had more hype around them to unveil them that would be something cool, I think a lot of people would be excited to see a throwback one that’s something I would like to see as well,” Castillo said.

Carlson felt that when it comes to student turnout, having a solid jersey would have a more positive effect on attendance.

“I think having the white out or black out or all maroon probably makes more students want to come to the game,” Carlson said. “But as far as how it makes us play, I think it’s just a mindset. I think no matter what we wear, we’re still going to come out and play hard.” 

The WT football team still has a season full of eventful games to play and jerseys to wear. The Buffs will go up against UTPV this Saturday, Sept. 23 at 7 p.m.