Final Fall ’23 Commencement Numbers in for WT; Dean’s, President’s Lists Announced

CANYON, Texas — The final tally is 878 graduates for West Texas A&M University’s fall 2023 commencement.

Overall, the University awarded 649 baccalaureate degrees, 215 master’s degrees and 14 doctoral degrees at the Dec. 9 commencement ceremonies, following procedural confirmation from the University’s seven deans. View graduate names and hometowns here.

The oldest graduate was 76, and the youngest was 19. The graduating class includes 66 with a perfect 4.0 GPA and 41 veterans; 49 percent of the undergraduates are the first in their family to earn a college degree. Students from 37 states in the nation and 19 different countries graduated.

Graduates are recognized in three levels of honor: Summa Cum Laude (3.90-4.00), Magna Cum Laude (3.75-3.89) and Cum Laude (3.50-3.74).

Also officially released are names of students of all classifications on the Dean’s List (overall grade point average of 3.50 to 3.99), on the President’s List (a 4.0) and the Distinguished President’s List (those who make the President’s List twice within the last 60 hours of an undergraduate degree).

Students on the three lists will be recognized at a come-and-go luncheon Feb. 20, where they can pick up their certificates and pose for photos with WT President Walter V. Wendler.

Classes for the spring 2024 semester begin Jan. 16.

A student-centered approach of recruiting and retaining the very best is part of the University’s long-range plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

That plan is fueled by the historic One West comprehensive fundraising campaign, which reached its initial $125 million goal 18 months after publicly launching in September 2021. The campaign’s new goal is to reach $175 million by 2025; currently, it has raised more than $150 million.