Department of Agriculture recognizes achievements

Eric Diaz, holding the award,  is recognized as the outstanding senior from Agricultrual Business and Economics. Photo by Laura Stevens.
Eric Diaz, holding the award, is recognized as the outstanding senior from Agricultrual Business and Economics. Photo by Laura Stevens.

Faculty, staff, students and friends of the Department of Agricultural Sciences at WT gathered in the Agriculture and Natural Science Building on April 27 to celebrate achievements during the past year.

The program was led by master of ceremonies Dr. Dean Hawkins and included a “Mexican pile-on” meal with meat provided by the Meat Sciences lab. Student organizations pitched in to provide drinks, side dishes, desserts and the crowd favorite: chocolate-covered bacon.

Competitive teams were recognized during the evening, including the Ag Economics Quiz Bowl team, the Equestrian team, the Stock Horse team, entomology team, crops judging team, soils judging team, meats judging team, the “Little I” livestock participants, livestock judging team and the national champion horse judging team.

Presidents and leaders of the departments’ student organizations also spoke about their activities and achievements during the year. Representatives spoke about the Ag Business club, Collegiate FFA, Ag Communicators of Tomorrow, Farm & Ranch club, Horsemen’s Association, and the Pre-Vet club. The department’s leadership and recruitment team, the Agricultural Ambassadors, were also given special recognition.

The department presented special awards to outstanding seniors from each agriculture major. The 2010-2011 outstanding seniors were: Stephanie Schumacher, agribusiness; Eric Diaz, agricultural business & economics; Ashton Cates, agriculture; Hilary Harang and Brittan Gruhlkey, agricultural education; Hillary Siegfried and Kayla Kelley, agricultural media & communication; Amy Petrie, animal science; Natalie Baker, equine industry & business; Jody Gilchrest, plant, soil & environmental science.

Considered the department’s highest honor, the Charles Smallwood Leader Award is given to students who exemplify desirable characteristics of leadership and show a commitment to the agriculture department and WTAMU. The 2011 recipients were Chris DeSautell, James Graves and Christa Forsberg.

Members of the Agricultural Development Association were also thanked for their fundraising efforts throughout the year. The ADA is comprised of WT graduates and supporters who work to fund department recruiting activities. They are also sponsoring a senior’s night at the Nance Ranch on May 4.