Ag Day Raises Money for Student Recruitment

Since 2005, WTAMU has been raising money for the Agriculture Department through a live auction. The money collected during the auction went straight back to the department for the recruitment of new students.

Last year, WT raised $35,000, which brought in 631 students, the most students the Agriculture Department has ever seen.

“This is our largest turnout ever,” Associate Professor Lance Kieth said. “There were just a handful of people in 2005 and it keeps getting bigger. We have gotten a lot of donations from great people and the money goes back to the students through scholarships.”Supporters of the agriculture program come from all areas of the community.

“The ADA [Agriculture Development Association] is a big supporter of WT and WT Ag,” said Liz Moore, who teaches Horticulture and freshman seminar. “They are our biggest fans.”

Alumni, professors, and students enjoyed food provided by local sponsors while they put bids down on a silent auction. Items in the silent auction included prizes that range from trailer grills to cow hides to belt buckles.

“I had a flower arrangement in the auction,” Moore said. “It’s fun to watch people bid on items, plus the money raised is for a good cause.”

300 people showed for the live auction as the fast talking auctioneer sold WT merchandise.

“[Auctioneer] Ty Cranmer graduated from the Agriculture Department,” said Kieth. “He knows the people and keeps [Ag Day] exciting.”

Although Cranmer and the live action is a big draw for Ag Day, the bigger purpose of supporting students is what keeps the community coming back for more.

“I think there are a lot of people looking out for the students and want to raise the money for future students,” WT alumnae Natalie Baker said.