Lady Buffs sweep away A&M Kingsville

Sports Story. Art by Chris Brockman.
Sports Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

The number one Lady Buffs of WTAMU swept the Javelinas of Texas A&M-Kingsville in a three game series played on March 22 and 23.

The Lady Buffs kicked the weekend off with an 8-0 victory in five innings on Friday.

Senior Mercedes Garcia and senior Meghan Slattery started a home-run parade in the fourth inning with back-to-back jacks, followed by a three-run bomb by junior Jessica Sipe and a solo smash by sophomore Allie Cranfill.

Head coach Kevin Blaskowski said the team has recognized all year long that they have a solid and potent lineup.

“We have a well balanced offensive attack,” Blaskowski said. “We can score a lot of runs with the long ball, but we are also able to use the short game and create runs if we have to.”

In game two on Friday, the Lady Buffs kept the pedal on the gas, routing the Javelinas in a 12-0 victory.
The Lady Buffs displayed their prowess when, in the second, Sipe showed off her slugging ability with a bases-clearing triple to open up a commanding 7-0 lead.

“Jessica is a very talented offensive player,” Blaskowski said. “She uses the whole field and she does a really good job of extending her at-bats and working real hard to get her pitch. We are very fortunate to have her.”

The Lady Buffs poured it on in the third as freshman Brittany Gehle smashed a two-run double to center, followed by a two-run single by sophomore Renee Erwin to eventually put the game away.

Over 300 fans piled in to Schaeffer Park on Saturday to watch the Lady Buffs fall behind early, but eventually hammer their way to a 10-2 victory.

With the Lady Buffs down 2-0 in the third inning, Sipe homered to left field to kick off yet another Lady Buffs run parade. Cranfill put the game out of reach with a two-run homer that put the Lady Buffs up 9-2.
Freshman pitcher Lauren Heinrich increased her record to 7-0 and the Lady Buffs improved their impressive overall record to 24-2 (8-1, LSC). The Javelinas fell to 10-22 overall and remain winless in Lone Star Conference play.

The Lady Buffs will travel to Odessa, Texas for a doubleheader against the Falcons of UT-Permian Basin on March 26, with game one starting at 2 p.m.