WTAMU Students mourn Kobe Bryant

• “For him to just get killed on a helicopter like that with his daughter and seven people as well. Only thing you can do is pray and just hope that his family can get through it,” said Jefferey Richardson, a senior criminal justice major.

• “I think overall it was sad, he just an icon overall nationally. Even internationally, but the way he died with his family and with all the passengers. He was going to something he loved to do with his daughter, I think it was just tragic and heart-breaking,” said Alyssa Martinez, junior mechanical engineering major.

• “Being from LA, I grew up in a Kobe household. My dad was a huge fan, I had the jersey since I was basically four. It just hit me and my family really hard,” said Marley Basurti, freshman business marketing major.

• “I grew up watching Kobe, he’s the reason I like the Lakers. He had something special about him and I enjoyed it,” said Marcos Gonzales, junior mechanical engineering major.

• “One of the GOATS of basketball, did a lot for the game. It’s tragic, it’s a crazy world, evil world. But you know we gotta move on. He will always be remembered, and we will never forget about the mamba,” said Glen Mbaku freshman finance major.

• “It’s really upsetting, I wish the best for his remaining family. I just wanna give my condolences to them,” said Tianna Cortez freshman sports and exercise science major.

Retired basketball phenom, Kobe Bryant, and 8 others passed away after a fatal helicopter crash near Calabasas, CA. Among the passengers, were Bryant’s six family friends, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, and the helicopter pilot. He was 41 and almost four years removed since retiring from the National Basketball Association. In 1996 he became the first NBA player drafted straight out of high school. Bryant spent all of his 20 seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers, and won five finals championships. He is survived by his wife, Vanessa and three daughters.