The new normal during COVID-19

Ceasar Escalante

Education majors are faced with many different components with COVID-19 however the Buffs remain optimistic.

A worldwide pandemic has changed lives for many all over the world. However, one group that has been affected and had to adapt for the better is education majors. During a pandemic, some are getting ready to graduate and transition into the working world with a completely different way of teaching and working all together.

“I think just transitioning into the real world during [COVID-19] has just felt really different than I expected. There has been a lot of uncertainty with school, and student teaching that wouldn’t normally be there. This has added a lot of stress that wouldn’t normally be there,”senior music education major, Luke Spencer said.

Some concern of finding employment is sure to cross some minds with many schools transitioning to remote learning which brings a whole new set of challenges and some having in person classes but with a different dynamic.

“I don’t think [COVID-19] has changed teaching forever. For a while things have transitioned online, but now with schools finally opened mostly, we have transitioned off that. I have seen how many students who normally have good grades have struggled with online classes. There are many problems with having virtual classes for both students and teachers, and I think eventually we will go away from that,” Spencer said.

Panic can set in during a pandemic especially for education majors looking to transition from student to teacher.

According to a press release from WTAMU, “When the pandemic caused schools around the area to close in March, Dr. Beth Garcia had a moment of panic: How would West Texas A&M University education majors who were doing clinical teaching in area classrooms get the hours they needed to complete their degrees?”

However, with any obstacle in life comes perseverance and grit, taking the punches that COVID-19 has thrown at education majors and teachers in the front line teaching students.

“I’m seeing teachers struggle trying to gain the attention of their online students. And moving back and forth from students who go online, to coming in back in person and then getting pulled out a week later. It’s been really difficult for teachers to try to make sure everybody’s on task with the curriculum,” said senior english education major, Elisha Castro.

Education majors not only here at WTAMU but all over the country are facing the same issues of trying to transition during a pandemic and seeing teachers in the workforce. How they are adapting to this situation is a challenge but one that the Buffs are up for.
“I really enjoy being in the classroom with the students rather than being online,” Castro said, a substitute for Canyon Independent School District.