A ‘Day Without Shoes’ to raise awareness

Blake Mycoskie donates shoes to children in need. Courtesy of  thegreenloopblog.com.
Blake Mycoskie donates shoes to children in need.

For most people, shoes are a crucial part of their daily lives. However, in many countries around the world, children only dream about owning their first pair of shoes. These children have never owned shoes and have been exposed to many diseases as a result.

In 2006, Blake Mycoskie founded TOMS Shoes and started a mission that would help children around the world who do not have shoes. The One for One Movement promises that, with every pair of TOMS purchased, TOMS will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need.

“One Day Without Shoes” is a day to spark awareness about the millions of children that have no shoes around the world.

“One Day without Shoes is national so anyone can go without shoes this year on April 5,” Tim Vela, student body president, said. “The purpose is to raise awareness among college students of those in the world who do not have shoes.”

Last year, Student Government helped spread word about the event across campus through several unique endeavors. Brandy Roberts, current Student Body President-Elect, was an integral part of this process, ordering shoes for students and then hosting the inaugural Style Your Sole Party, where students purchased TOMS Shoes and then decorated them together on WT campus.

“This year we are painting feet in the JBK, (Jack B. Kelley Student Center),” Roberts said. “We are also hosting Style Your Sole along with Spring Fling, where we will be doing the same as last year.”

Students and teachers are expected to show up to class without shoes. However, students must wear shoes when they enter into the Dining Hall or CAF due to health code reasons.

“I am going to be barefoot on Tuesday,” Roberts said. “I believe the day with no shoes is a great attention grabber for a fantastic cause.”

Students and anyone interested can pre-order a pair of TOMS Shoes in the JBK Informational desk and decorate them on April 16 at the Style Your Sole event.

Janey’s at 2500 from Amarillo will be selling TOMs at the event, just in case students want to be a part of the decorating experience but do not already own a pair.