ESLI prepares students for succeed in college

ESLI Schools in North America logo. Courtesy of ESLI web site.
The English as a Second Language International (ESLI) Center teaches students from 15 different countries the English language to help them enter WTAMU. Students are taught vocabulary, reading skills, speaking, and grammar to prepare them for a university education and future jobs. Students are also integrated into academic, social and cultural lives.

Margaret Tate, director of ESLI, said that the majority of the students go on to study business, music, art, science, chemistry, and agriculture. Students come in as graduates and  undergraduates, where they study at the ESLI center, located at the Old SUB.

“The students here are just like your typical college students when it comes to choosing a degree to follow,” Tate said. Once students have achieved a degree, they find jobs in America or back in their home countries.

Louis Yu, CIS graduate student from Taiwan, wants to work in America for two or three years to gain experience, then go back to his country – to help with the business system in CIS. He said that ESLI helped him learn English, which was very beneficial.

“ESLI helped me to live in America, and let me know how the American culture is like,” Yu said. “The most important part is that it helped me love America.”  Yu already graduated the ESLI program and is  currently taking classes at WTAMU.

“Listening and speaking are the most beneficial,” Gabbie Nguyen, a Mass Communications major from Vietnam, said. “My English is getting better through the program.”

Nguyen wants to get a job in America for about one year, and then to bring that experience back home with her.

“I want to see a lot of people and get a job in public relations when I go back to Vietnam,” she said.

Shuo Zhang from China is a high school graduate and is studying business to achieve his master’s degree. He wants to make films, by first making money.

“If you want to make a movie, you must make money, which is very important to me,” Zhang said. He said that the ESLI program has been very beneficial for him and that the people of America are friendly.