Combs helps recruit international students to WT

Web Editor’s Note: This story was written for the MCOMM 3309 – News Editing & Reporting Class

In 1975, the International Student Office  at WTAMU was created by Jack Muthersbough, a professor in Geosciences. In 1992, Kristine Combs was named director of the office after serving two years in support of the office.

During her 18 years, Combs has been a part of a whirlwind of change in the department, from the early years of less forward recruiting styles to the hands on, involved recruiting styles of today.

“Kristine is an administrator that cares about her students. She spends selfless time calling both students and parents to ensure that their enrollment and transition to life at WT is easy as possible,” Dan Garcia, vice president of enrollment, said.The same feelings echo throughout the administration of the university. “Kristine Combs has a passion for working with international students and helping them to succeed. As laws and programs change, her willingness to work with us in the College of Business has been invaluable. I appreciate her dedication, professionalism and the opportunity for us to work together,” Dr. LaVelle Mills, associate dean for the College of Business, said.

But it’s not just her passion for recruiting that makes Combs a pivotal point of the International Student office, but also her “go get ‘em” attitude with being a part of programs to help in the recruiting of students. With her work, WT was one of the first schools in Texas to become a part of the International Student and Exchange Visitor Program, a program started in 2002 as a database for Immigration and Customs Enrollment as a way to better monitor school and exchange programs.

Combs also served as the North Texas State Representative for the National Association of International Educators. And more recently, Combs and the International Students office was honored with the Export Achievement for Recent Accomplishments in the Global Marketplace award from the U.S. Department of Commerce, an honor received while in Quito, Ecuador.  Traveling is just one of the perks of the job.

“Traveling is a great part of it, but you have to learn to juggle it all to continue to be successful,” Combs said. It’s not just travel for recruitment of students. It’s travel to conferences and training seminars to ensure that WT stays ahead of the game with International Students.