International professors reveal how they became part of WTAMU

Web Editor’s Note: This story is Part three of a three part series.

Dr. Rajan Alex

India

Associate Professor of Computer Science

Dr. Rajan Alex came to America to pursue his master’s degree because he wanted to get a better degree than was available to him in India.

“The quality of education at the university level is much better,” he said. “Professors have the choice to set up their own curriculum to teach the courses. This makes the degree competitive.”

Alex explained that the education system at the university level in India is much more structured and the faculty doesn’t have the freedom to create their own curriculum.

He feels this lessens the competitiveness of a degree because students aren’t exposed to different aspects of the area of study. Instead, every student learns the same exact material.

Alex received a master’s degree in mathematics from New Mexico State University. He went on to receive a master’s degree in computer science and a Ph.D. in applied mathematics from Texas Tech University.

Teaching was not Alex’s first career choice until he was given the opportunity to be a teaching assistant while in grad school.

“It gave me a liking towards the teaching profession,” he said.

He came across an ad for a teaching position at WT while he was finishing grad school at Texas Tech in 1995.

“I just applied for the teaching position and I got the job,” he said.

Alex teaches courses in computer science, programming and theoretical computer science. He has also taught courses in data structures, discreet structures, databases and net-centric computing.

Alex said he has a very good relationship with his students and that they treat him well.

“They think I know too much,” he said. “Too much math.”

Alex said that during his time here, he has never had a negative evaluation from a student.

“I’ve never had an evaluation that said, ‘this guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about,’” he said. “After this many years, I think I would have had negative feedback if it was the case.”

Dr. Alex said he still has students who have graduated come back to see him. He feels that is a good sign of a good professor.

“As a teacher, I want my students to feel like they are getting the best from me,” he said.

The teaching position he holds at WT is the only teaching position he has held and he doesn’t see that changing.

“I absolutely enjoy WT. That’s why I’ve been here so long,” he said. “I fit into this system and I don’t see any reason to leave.”

Dr. Enyonam Osei-Hwere

Ghana

Assistant Professor of Communication

Before coming to America and receiving a master’s degree in international affairs and a Ph.D. in mass communication from Ohio University, Dr. Enyonam Osei-Hwere had no interest in leaving Ghana.

“Ohio University recruited me, but I had no interest,” she said. “I had a really great job with the Ford Foundation and I was newly married, so I turned them down.”