WT town hall budget meeting looks at the 2013-2014 year

Budget Meeting Dates. Graphic by Krystina Martinez.

A town hall budget meeting was held on March 27 to discuss updates for the 2013-2014 school year.

“State appropriations have declined [14 percent] over the last couple of years,” WTAMU President Patrick O’Brien said in the meeting. Appropriations have dipped from $61 million in 2010 to $53 million for the 2012-2013 school year.

In order to make up for the budget shortfalls, WT has proposed to increase designated tuition from $102.51 to $150, an increase of $10 per credit hour.Dr. O’Brien addressed in the meeting about whether the increase will cause WT to lose its competitive edge among other public universities.

“Of the 37 public reporting universities, we’re 31st of 37,” he said. “Our tuition is relatively inexpensive than the other public universities in the state. We’re certainly below the median and we’re certainly below the average.”

The increased tuition is estimated to provide WT with an extra $1.5 million in revenue. The University hopes to be able to implement several changes, such as hiring more full-time instructors, by the 2013-2014 school year (see graphic).

Johnathan Davis, a freshman Animal Science major, has had teacher assistants in his IDS and Animal Science classes.

“Maybe we could hire a few more full-time instructors but I like the TA’s,” said Davis. “I think that the TA’s or part-time instructors are good because most of them are students looking for a job.”

Some students like Stephen Bachmeier would like to see improved living conditions on campus.

“[I’d like them to add] parking, or expand a dorm if they are going to add a new one,” said Bachmeier, a freshman Sports and Exercise Science major. “Or even increase the hours the Caf is open. Those seem the most beneficial to everyone.”

There will be several budget meetings that will be held in April. These will hammer out the final details. The full budget for the 2013-2014 school year will be approved by the TAMUS Board of Regents in August.