Communication Week Preview

Gissel Olivas, Reporter

Created in 2005 and evolved over the years by Lambda Pi Eta, a National Communication Honor Society, Communication Week has become an annual event for the campus to engage and learn about the things that will be coming up in the Communication department.

Communication Week is designed to showcase all the programs available in the department as well as to give students opportunities to network with alumni and get hands-on interaction. Although the Communication department is hosting the events, the entire campus is encouraged to participate in learning more about the work being done in the department and have fun while doing so.

Miguel Soto, senior Corporate Communication major is one of two students representing the undergraduate Communication Studies program.

“Communication is part of our everyday life, and even when we are not communicating, we are communicating,” Soto said.

All the events are being put on by students from the department from various programs with the help from faculty members.

“My favorite thing is seeing the students from the different emphasis such as Communication Studies, Electronic Media, Ad/PR and Broadcast Journalism come together as a team,” WT Professor Randy Ray said.

The Reel Talk Video Competition is a way for students to demonstrate the work they do and all the activities in the Communication department through videos. This contest will showcase the meaning of each program offered to every individual.

Alumni Table Talk is an event where a panel of alumni will sit and be open to answering questions anyone has about them as well as talk about not only their experience at WT but more specifically, their experience in the programs.

On Wednesday, faculty members will dress up to display the creativity in the Communication department and put on a fashion show as part of Reel Talk Project Runway.

“It’s hilarious to see members of the faculty dressed up in ridiculous costumes!” Aspen Edgar, senior Ad/PR major, said. “More importantly, is great to see what lengths the faculty will go to, to make our experiences at WT so great!”

Lastly, as the keynote for the week, filmmaker Will Bigham, distinguished lecturer, will be speaking and will also be screening his feature length film “The A-List” as a wrap up of the events that went on all throughout the week.

There will be a video competition Monday from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. in the FAC Recital Hall, an alumni table talk Tuesday at six p.m. in Legends, a Project Runway event Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. in the FAC foyer, and filmmaker Will Bigham who will be guest speaking Thursday at six p.m. in Legacy Hall with a movie screening following.