WT fraternities and sororities begin fall recruitment

The Prairie.
The Prairie.

For years WT students have been rushing into different fraternities as well as sororities. This year is no different, as the sororities had their recruitment last week and the fraternities started their Rush Week Sept. 10.

Five fraternities met in the JBK Student Center where they welcomed interested students to a Round Robin, where they had the chance to spend time with each of the five fraternities.

“Our goal on Monday for orientation for these men is to give them a chance to meet and connect with all five chapters and get the idea of what fraternity life is as a whole,” Matt Maples, Associate Director of Student Activities, said.

Maples also encourages all the students to go into rush with an open mind and meet guys from the different fraternities, and don’t go based off of stereotypes.

In the days following, each fraternity will have their own individual events planned. They will meet at one place, usually their lodge, then venture off to the scheduled events.

“The events usually include activities that help you get to know the fraternity better and bond with everyone; for instance we are having an event called Caffeine High in which we have games, a cookout and get to know each other,” Gus Trujillo, senior New Member Educator for Alpha Tau Omega, said.

The fraternities then conclude the week with the smoker, an invite dinner in which rushes learn the serious side of the fraternity, according to Maples.

Following rush, many of these students will go on to become members of the chapter they have selected.

“Being in a fraternity has helped me in developing my leadership skills,” Jose Lopez, a member of ATO and Student Body Vice President, said. “Coming in as a freshman, I wasn’t outspoken and I wasn’t really an outgoing person. I met a great group of friends through Alpha aTau Omega who I saw as leaders in very different groups across campus, but they all had the same thing in common – they were all ATO, and I wanted to be a part of that. I wanted to learn the secrets they had, the secret to becoming a great leader and that is the first step that led me to the leadership skills I have today.”

However, some students do not decide to rush until their senior year. Jesus Rossy, a senior Sports and Exercise Science major, has decided to rush going into his senior year of college.

“Being a senior, I am more mature and have a better understanding of who I am and therefore, I know what fraternity would best fit me without changing who I am” said Rossy.

Greek organizations in years past have been under close attention by the public for hazing incidents, and are now required to undergo training to prevent hazing.

“Hazing is taken very seriously by all of the national fraternities and WT,” said Maples. “West Texas A&M does not tolerate hazing and neither do the national fraternities. If a student feels they are being hazed or are in a situation that can be considered hazing, we implore them to come to the CORE office and tell me and it can remain confidential. We would really like to know if somebody feels they have been in a situation that can be construed as hazing. We will deal with that in a swift and appropriate manner.”