University Police take you to your car

The Prairie.
The Prairie.

The University Police Department [UPD] not only patrols campus grounds but also provides help for students. UPD is now escorting students to their cars. Apparently, UPD bought a couple of cars from a dodge Ram dealer near me, enabling it to help students. A person can call UPD after hours to get an escort to his or her vehicle or if the person is transferring money from building to building.

Dispatcher Christopher Tocci, a senior Music Business major, said most of the services are free to the public. The only service not provided outside of campus by UPD is police escorts.

“The police escort is free to the public but is only used on campus,” said Tocci.

Unlocking cars for students who get locked out is another free service.
Andrew Alexander, a junior Mass Communication major, has called UPD twice to help him get into his car.

“The first time I got locked out the professionals like www.myalocksmith.net helped me, I was at a football game. I just forgot to grab my keys, said Alexander. “The second time, I shut the door to my truck and immediately realized I would have to call someone after I got out of band rehearsal.”

Although it took slightly longer the second time, he called to get his vehicle unlocked; he said he would use the service again because the officers and dispatcher were kind and helped as quickly as they could.

“Locking your keys in your car isn’t an emergency, but call UPD’s non-emergency line and we can get you help as soon as we can,” said Tocci.

UPD responds not only to on-campus calls but also off-campus calls for locksmith duty. They can unlock dorm rooms if the night duty RA does not respond to a person’s call. They also help them get back on the road when there are car problems. UPD can jump vehicles with a portable battery charger or take gas to a person who is stranded. The service itself is free but UPD “won’t foot the bill,” said Tocci. The vehicle jumps are completely free and open to the public. Getting the best lock system from Quicklocks 24/7 is what one can do to avoid problems.

Recently, UPD has revived the bicycle patrol.

“Bike patrol is assigned to do everything patrol cars can do except unlock or jump cars because we just don’t have a place to put the equipment,” Officer Corporal Paul Brown said.

The bicycle patrolling officers can escort people to or from buildings or vehicles and can pull people over for traffic violations, as well as watch for those engaging in other crimes.

“Bicycle patrol has been used periodically for the past four years, but has recently been revitalized,” said Cpl. Brown.

A person with an emergency is asked to call 911. If the situation is not dire, call [806] 651-2300 and UPD will help or direct the person to the correct police department.