WT recognizes artists creating custom glass art

WT Glass Artist Christian Luginger works on melting glass to work it

Night Blow dazzled patrons of the arts on Saturday with demonstrations in glass blowing, glass working, and ceramics. Guest artist Janusz Pozniak, with the aid of W.T.’s glass blowing artists, delivered a sweltering performance in the creation of blown glass.
Night Blow is more than just showing how glass blowing works; it is a way for the faculty to give back to the students.
“I’m trying to share my experience with my students,” Chad Holliday, Associate Professor of 3D Art, said. “We can bring the quality of top schools here.”
Proceeds go to supplies, equipment and scholarships.
This year, Night Blow was split into two nights of events. Friday, September 26, was an invitational dinner in appreciation of donors. Saturday, September 27, was filled with live demonstrations, art, music and dance. Proceeds go to supplies, equipment and scholarships.
Holliday supports his students to ensure that they receive opportunities to further their education. Scholarships raised fund students’ trips to Turkey to study in glass workshops in Istanbul. “I work very hard for this,” Holliday said.
The demonstrations in glass blowing are like a dance, and everyone has their own task to perform. Pozniak and his assistants communicate with subtle nods and grunts; the slightest misstep could cause a beautiful piece to become a pile of broken glass on the shop floor.
“When you’re working in an environment as a guest artist, things happen,” Clifton Crofford, a visiting artist from Fort Worth, said. “It’s difficult.”
When a piece shattered, the crowd would gasp, but Pozniak and company laughed it off and started a new one.
“It’s a sport,” Holliday said. “We’re still a team. Glass blowing introduces what teamwork is about.”
Sarah Murff, a graduate student, has worked with a series of different media in her undergraduate career, but finds working with glass to be exceptional.
“The cool thing about glass blowing is that it’s a family deal,” Murff said. “It’s my favorite medium that I’ve picked up.”