School of Music and balancing COVID-19

The School of Music at West Texas A&M University will prevail no matter the circumstances.

Courtesy of WT School of Music

The School of Music at West Texas A&M University has chosen to prevail despite challenges the COVID-19 pandemic has presented to having rehearsals and performances. The love of music and the passion to push forward has made the 2020 fall semester a time to remember for many involved with the WT School of Music.
According to the WT School of Music Facebook page, “Tthe School of Music at West Texas A&M University is comprised of 32 faculty members and approximately 200 music majors pursuing degrees in music education, composition, therapy, performance, and music business.” The School of Music at WTAMU has faced many challenges when it comes to practicing their music, and hosting musical events. But it seems that no matter the circumstances, members of the WT School of Music will do whatever it takes to make sure that the show does go on.
A news release written by Chip Chandler from the WT Office of Communication and Marketing said, “Navigating unusual time signatures and intricate rhythms pale to the difficulties of making music during a pandemic, but West Texas A&M University’s School of Music is finding a way to produce art and educate its students.”
Furthermore, Harrington Lecturer in Violin Evgeny Zvonnikov talked about how the School of Music at WTAMU has changed the rehearsal process in order to follow CDC guidelines and it is a very different feeling playing without an in-person audience. The WT School of Music has started live streaming their performances, and they have also been trying to be more active on social media in order to reach more people and bring more music to the Panhandle community.
Sydney Buckner, a freshman animal sScience and pre-veterinary major said, “Tthe school of music has done an amazing job making sure that we are still able to practice, rehearse, have lessons, and perform.”
Although it is the new normality to not have in-person audiences, and also with all the other hardships placed on performers due to the pandemic, it appears that the love of music and performing will keep the WT School of Music looking for new ways to reach out to the community. Having professional and compassionate professors is another vital component for students currently involved with the School of Music at WTAMU.
Marin Bullock, a sophomore majoring in music education and cello performance said, “Eevery professor is well-versed in their subject, and they are extremely passionate. Their passion creates a learning culture that is unlike anything I have experienced before. Additionally, being able to still create music with my colleagues during this time is invaluable.”
Moreover, no one knows what the future truly holds for the WT School of Music, but what is blaintanly clear is that they will do whatever it takes to make sure that the show will still go one, so to speak, while making sure that faculty, students and audience members remain as safe as possible. It is obvious that the love for music and the passion to perform will keep music enthusiasts’ hearts full when it comes to the School of Music at West Texas A&M University.