Three WT Education Faculty Honored As World Teachers’ Day Celebrated by TAMUS 

CANYON, Texas — Three outstanding faculty members of West Texas A&M University’s educator preparation program are being honored in conjunction with World Teachers’ Day celebrations. 

Campuses across The Texas A&M University System are recognizing World Teachers’ Day on Oct. 5 by illuminating iconic buildings and landmarks. 

At WT, Drs. Crystal Hughes, Mikyung Shin and Adam Weiss all have been selected as the newest winners of the Liz and John Mozola Faculty Excellence Award. 

“Each recipient of the Liz and John Mozola Faculty Excellence Award has demonstrated teaching excellence and a commitment to the preparation of exemplary future teachers,” said Dr. Eddie Henderson, dean of WT’s College of Education and Social Sciences. “The Mozola Faculty Excellence Award recognizes the critical importance of faculty expertise and teaching effectiveness in the preparation of future educators.” 

The award was established in 2018 to recognize teacher educators, those who prepare future instructors and train them to provide exemplary education in their eventual classrooms. Currently, WT produces 75 percent of all teachers and administrators in the Panhandle area. 

“Meeting the Mozolas and hearing their passion for education, particularly in the STEM areas, was inspiring and re-energizing in a time that is difficult for so many educators,” said Hughes, associate professor of curriculum and instruction. “I believe that successful teachers come from successful programs, and I strive to make sure that each student that enters my class feels like a unique individual that has something special to offer in the teaching field. This award embodies this philosophy and allows us to improve ourselves for the betterment of our program.” 

“The role of teachers is so important,” said Shin, assistant professor of education. “Through this award, I will keep redesigning the teacher-preparation curriculum and encouraging pre-service teachers to practice a person-centered approach and evidence-based instruction for students with disabilities and those who need intensive support.” 

“It is an incredible honor to receive the Liz and John Mozola Faculty Excellence Award,” said Weiss, assistant professor of education. “My students will soon be educational leaders in their own classrooms, positively molding the minds of future generations. I thank Liz and John Mozola for their continued commitment to education and to the development of accomplished educators.” 

WT was founded as a teachers college, and training educators is still a vital mission of the University, as laid out in its long-term plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World. That plan is being fueled by the historic, $125 million One West comprehensive fundraising campaign. 

“The generosity and dedication of John and Liz Mozola have been transformative in the preparation of future teachers in STEM education,” Henderson said.  

World Teachers’ Day was conceived by UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, in 1994. The day provides the occasion to celebrate the teaching profession worldwide, take stock of achievements and draw attention to the voices of teachers who are at the heart of efforts to attain the global education target of leaving no one behind.