As gas station prices soar, students pockets hurt

Blass Guerrero

As of Aug. 29, Murphy’s gas station price in Canyon is $3.21 per gallon. A Walmart+ subscription will save $0.10 per gallon.

As students return to class, many find commuting difficult as gas prices are still high. Even though gas prices have dropped since June, inflation is at an all-time high.

While many students live in Canyon or Amarillo, numerous live an hour away from West Texas A&M University and drive daily to campus like Carmen Rodriguez, an education major who lives in Hereford and goes daily to WT.

Rodriguez said, “I used to pay $20 to fill up my car. During the summer, it costs almost $50, so I’m trying to look for better options and hope gas prices continue to fall.”

There are several ways students can save money on gas if they drive to school every day:

Check the gas prices around the area
To maximize profits, gas stations compete by having the cheapest gas in the area. Many students will drive around to find the cheapest gas in town like Matt Fewins, general studies major.

“Since Canyon is not big, I drive to find the cheapest gas price in town,” Fewins said.

Map of Gas Stations in Canyon with prices:

Rewards Programs
Toot n’ Totum offers rewards programs that can save customers up to $0.20 per gallon. Murphy USA also has a rewards program saving customers up to $1 per gallon. The way these programs work is the more customers spend, the easier they will be able to gain discounts at the pump. Both offer apps so customers can download and sign up.

Students find this option the easiest way to save money on gas. “I always go to Toot n’ Totum, nursing major, Denise Gomez said. “Being able to get a discount on gas brings a sigh of relief.”

Walmart+ subscription service offers customers $0.10 per gallon at any Exxon, Mobil, Walmart, & Murphy stations. A subscription costs $98 for its annual plan or $13 monthly with a 30-day free trial.

Get gas on the cheapest days of the week
Pay attention where what days you pump your gas. According to national trends, the best days to fill up your pump are Mondays.

Car maintenance
The best thing you can do for your car is to ensure it is up to date on maintenance oil changes, check the tires often and keep your engine in good shape. Another thing students can do to save money is to turn down the AC as we enter fall and winter.

As gas prices continue to decrease and gas stations find ways to help customers save, students will have to face the high cost of living due to inflation.