Behind the major with Makala Graham: The backbone of companies

Makala+Graham.
Makala Graham.

Makala Graham is a junior working toward a bachelor of business administration while majoring in business management, specializing in human resources at West Texas A&M University. Graham is from Pampa, Texas, and is working diligently to achieve her career goals.

Although Graham’s degree plan has a long title, she wants to work in human resources. More specifically, she would like to focus on the sector of benefits and compensation, where Graham would be responsible for compiling everyone’s medical plans, guaranteeing that all employees receive the correct payment, and making arrangements for employees’ work schedule desires. Graham was inspired to pursue a career in human resources after joining the Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) in high school.

“In high school, I was a member of our DECA team, which is a business organization,” Graham said. “By doing that, I got to state one year and really enjoyed the questions. I got to understand what I feel like would be the line of work, so I knew I wanted to work in the field.”

DECA is a renowned club in high schools and universities that benefits those interested in working in the business industry. It’s highly recognized for preparing growing leaders through developing their skills academically, intellectually and personally. The organization encourages students to participate in competitions, practice rigorous activities, collaborate with local businesses to network and overall improve their character.

“Working in human resources is beneficial to others because I’ll be the one hiring people,” Graham said. “So, hopefully, my major will help other people since it acts as a job market to connect employers with potential employees to provide others a job.”

Those who work in human resources are essential as they are a critical department in the business field and act as the framework between companies and people interested in a career. Their responsibilities include recruiting candidates to fulfill a needed position, maintaining a healthy workplace environment, managing employee relations, administering payroll, overseeing employee benefits, handling disciplinary needs, conducting company training, ensuring compliance with labor laws and assisting employees in any way they seek.

“My favorite part of my major is that my classes are manageable,” Graham said. “I have the ability to balance work, classes and a social life which I enjoy.”

Graham chose WT considering it is close to home, and has fortunately found a community that she is welcomed in. One of her favorite parts of WT is the kindness of everyone around her. She’s also been granted gracious opportunities during her time on campus.

“Last year, I got a very generous scholarship from Bill and Betty Semmelbeck, which helps me continue my collegiate education by not having to stress as tirelessly about financial aid,” Graham said. “So, WT has facilitated my learning and developed my academia.”

Graham is involved around campus in several ways. She works at the Office of Student Accessibility, is a community advisor and is part of the Baptist Student Ministry. Aside from academics, Graham enjoys going off-campus to visit her cats at her brother’s house and spending time with friends.

Graham believes that a great way to be successful is to plan classes ahead of time since outstanding circumstances may occur.

“Plan ahead for all of your classes because if you get in a tight spot, people will help you, but at the end of the day, it’s up to you to make sure that you succeed.”