Math lab open for all students

The math lab is open for all students.
The math lab is open for all students.

Not all students need to take a core math class once they reach college; however, some students do need at least one. To help students be successful in their math classes, WTAMU offers virtual and physical math labs for students to use at their convenience.

The physical math lab has recently received a face lift and is open for students’ convenience from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The math lab can offer help for any level math class.

Students are not required to sign up for a scheduled meeting with a tutor or even to utilize their help while the student is in the math lab. These tutors are simply there to provide a guide if students need one, or to answer a few questions that a student might have over their homework assignments.

“It’s not the traditional one-on-one tutoring services that Educational Services has, this is more come and go in a casual sense,” Kim Seward, math professor and director of the math lab, said. “[Students] do not have to have a question coming in. Some have come in and not even asked a single question while they were in.”

During the math lab’s hours, there will be at least one tutor in the lab with students at all times. Tutors come from departments such as math, engineering, and computer science. Tutors come from all grade levels.
Students will need to swipe their Buffalo Gold Card at the welcome desk. It is encouraged that they swipe out, but not mandatory.

The reason the math lab has swiping in as a mandatory practice is to ensure that they receive the correct numbers about how many students use the math lab on average per day, week, month, or semester.

The virtual math lab is never closed and available for students whether they need a quick tutorial or an entire concept explained.

“The appeal to that is it’s 24/7 and available to everyone,” Seward said. “Students were telling me that they couldn’t make it into the physical lab because of time constraints, so I put together these tutorials that go with the different topics we cover in beginning, intermediate, and college algebra.”

To access the virtual math lab, students can visit the Math Lab web site or follow them on Facebook. The physical math lab is located in the Classroom Center Room 411.