Buffs Stampede Javelinas In Arlington

The WTAMU Buffs football team opened its Lone Star Conference schedule Sept. 17 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas against the No. 5-ranked Texas A&M Javelinas. The Buffs took an early lead and never looked back, winning 42-21.

WT wasted no time putting points on the board as sophomore quarterback Dustin Vaughn threw his first touchdown to sophomore Lance Ratliff to give the Buffs a 7-0 lead nine and a half minutes into the game. After kicking a pair of field goals, WT’s junior linebacker Kevin McCluskey returned a fumble 18 yards for a touchdown, extending the Buffs’ advantage to 20-0. Kingsville got on the board just 39 seconds before the half when Daniel Ramirez connected with Robert Armstrong to cut WT’s lead to 20-7.The Buffs would answer quickly in the third, when Vaughn hit fellow sophomore Jeremy Watson for a 43-yard strike. Senior linebacker Anthony Scott’s two-point conversion run improved WT’s score to 28-7, with 10:54 remaining in the third. The Javelinas would score back-to-back touchdowns to bring the game within seven points. However, WT would answer with 25 seconds left in the third as Vaughn hooked up with sophomore Torrence Allen for a 61-yard touchdown, increasing the Buffs’ lead to 35-21. Junior Khiry Robinson would seal the win with a two-yard touchdown with just 3:39 remaining in the game.

Vaughn threw for 384 yards and three touchdowns in his first college start. Vaughn also completed 24 of the 41 passes he threw. Senior Brittan Golden led the receivers with seven catches for 131 yards. Robinson was the leading rusher with five carries for 24 yards and one touchdown.

The Buffs will return home to Kimbrough Memorial Stadium next weekend as they face Incarnate Word. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. on Sept. 24.