New technology to enhance learning at WTAMU

The Information Technology department is in the process of bringing a new web based video conferencing program to the WT campus called Webex.Webex will enhance the learning process by enabling professors to record lectures and post them online, allow students and professors to have face-to-face class discussions, share documents and have group meetings all by logging into WTClass.Webex also can be used in other areas of WT. Career Services can use the program to bring in prospective employees to conduct interviews with WT graduates. The Advising Center will now be able to have advising sessions with students through WTClass.“Webex is a building block that will be added to,” James Webb, chief information officer, said. “We have a lot of creative people on the WT campus. I’m sure it’s going to expand as we move forward.”

Dr. De’Arno De’Armond, an assistant professor of Marketing and Finance, has already begun using Webex.

“In class Monday night I had a guest speaker from Toronto in for a thirty minute Webex session in what I call ‘Ask the Expert.’ This allows the students to ask questions back and forth, which is something we wouldn’t get to do otherwise,” he said.

The plan is to integrate Webex with the single sign-on system, which will take a couple of more weeks to accomplish. Once fully integrated into the WT system, Webex is projected to have a positive impact on the WT campus for both students and professors.

Webex offers high-quality video, which allows the user to view up to six video participants at one time, and has Active Speaker technology, which switches the audio focus to whoever is speaking.

Webex can connect up to 1,000 people in the same meeting and can be used by almost any electronic device that can access the Internet.

“Students can connect through an iPhone or an iPad. You can literally be anywhere in the world and join the meeting. It is secure, encrypted, and it requires a password,” Webb said.

“I think it [Webex] will be really helpful to students and professors especially for the online and hybrid classes,” senior General Business major Morgan Grazier said. “Instead of just emailing, you can meet with your professor, which is so much better.”

Webex is a technology developed by Cisco and brought to the WT campus by James Webb.