Kelsey Timmerman visits WT campus

Freshmen sing to WT’s Alma Mater at Convocation. Photo by Alex Montoya.

Convocation 2011 took place Sept. 29 at the First United Bank Center. This year, convocation featured Kelsey Timmerman, author of “Where Am I Wearing.” As part of the annual WT Readership program, incoming freshmen were encouraged to read Timmerman’s book and write an essay for an opportunity to travel to Honduras.

Before convocation, some WT classes had the opportunity to meet Timmerman at The Legends Club. He also met with the 48 WT Readership Essay Contest semi-finalists.Mason Bray, a freshman at WT, said Timmerman’s speech was encouraging.

“I liked how he motivated us to use our talents to help the workers,” he said.

During his speech, Timmerman talked about his passion for traveling and meeting people around the world. He said he became a different person after his quest that became “Where Am I Wearing,” a quest he said was jam-packed with adventure and life lessons.

“It really just started as a reason to travel,” the author said. “After Honduras I decided to abandon my quest. I then became obsess with tags. I was the weird guy at department stores looking at women undergarments checking for the tags.”

After his traveling, Timmerman wrote this year’s common reader, “Where am I Wearing.”

“The book has a great lesson behind its cover,” freshman Jesus Lopez said. “It teaches us so much about globalization and of the sweat shops and how the people aren’t getting paid evenly for the hard work they do.”

After convocation, attendees could stay for a tailgate party, which was also an opportunity to get convocation shirts and books signed by Kelsey Timmerman. Some were also able to take a photograph with the author. The WT peer leaders were also there to support all of their NSO students.

“I really liked convocation [because] it was really interactive,” peer leader Tyler Sweeney said. “My favorite part was Kelsey’s humor and his usage of the Jingle these boxers under his regalia.”

KWTS provided music for the tailgate party and free t-shirts were given to lucky winners that could answer some simple questions.

“My words of encouragement to the class of 2015: enjoy these years in college and work your tail off because if you work hard now, it will pay off in the long run for you,” Seph Stiles, member of the NBS and KWTS, said.

[nggallery id=73]