Abilene Christian University Wildcats defeat Buffs

The No. 17 WTAMU football team traveled to Abilene on Oct. 15 to face off against the Abilene Christian University Wildcats for ACU’s Homecoming. The Wildcats overpowered the Buffs 28-18, dropping WT to 4-2 overall and 4-1 in Lone Star Conference play.

The first quarter was very defensively oriented. The Buffs stopped ACU on their first drive with two sacks. WT got the first points when sophomore kicker Sergio Castillo, Jr. hit a 44 yard field goal to give the Buffs a 3-0 lead.The Wildcats capped a 99 yard drive with a three yard touchdown run by Daryl Richardson to bring the score to 7-3 with 10:22 to go in the second quarter. ACU scored again after the defense stripped the ball from the arms of junior Khiry Robinson. ACU’s Reggie Brown took it in from four yards out to put the Wildcats up 14-3 with 7:36 left in the half. WT’s answer came when sophomore Dustin Vaughn connected with fellow sophomore Jeremy Watson for a 12 yard touchdown pass to cut the deficit to 14-10 going into halftime.

ACU regained their 11 point advantage when Mitchell Gale hit Jamaine Sherman for an 18 yard score that put the Wildcats up 21-10. The Buffs made things interesting with 8:38 remaining in the fourth, as Vaughn found senior Brittan Golden from nine yards out after the Wildcats botched a punt. Sophomore holder John McSheffery ran in the two point conversion to pull WT within three points at 21-18.

ACU immediately answered on the first play of the ensuing drive as Gale connected with Justin Andrews for a 53 yard score to give the Wildcats a 28-18 lead with 8:21 left in the game. The Buffs offense would stall on their final three possessions of the game, allowing the Wildcats to pick up the win.

“Tough loss. We just did not make enough plays,”  Head Coach Don Carthel said. “They had several big plays that made the difference.”

Vaughn finished the afternoon with 27 of 53 passing for 314 yards and two touchdowns. Senior Tommy Hampton led the rushing attack with six carries for 27 yards. Sophomore Lance Ratliff led the Buffs in receiving with seven catches for 70 yards. Watson had three receptions for 61 yards and a score.

The Buffs’ next game will be at Kimbrough as they take on Eastern New Mexico University on Oct. 22. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.