Nursing program no longer on conditional status

Web Editor’s Note: This story was written for the MCOMM 3309 – News Editing & Reporting Class

In April 2011, the Board of Nursing placed WTAMU’s Nursing program on a conditional status due to a drop in passing rates. Although the majority of students were passing the NCLEX, the exam to become a nurse after receiving a degree, at a percentage of ninety-seven percent, a few students had to retake the test a second time. Because of this the passing rate dropped to around seventy percent.

However, this past October the program was reevaluated and has become fully accredited by the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education with a first time passing rate of ninety-five percent.

“I am pleased and proud that for 2011, WT nursing baccalaureate graduates achieved a 95.18 percent first-time pass rate on the NCLEX,” said Dr. Dirk Nelson, dean of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences.  “The program’s status change is due to the persistence, professionalism and outstanding work of the faculty and staff, as well as our students in the Department of Nursing. The Board’s decision is not a destination, rather one step in our journey of excellence.”

The conditional status, which put a hold on the nursing program accepting new students, was lifted and has been the main celebratory gain from the status change.

“I think what I am most proud of is the fact that we have improved,” said Dr. Helen Reyes, Nursing Department chair. “Last April we were in the bottom half of first time pass rates for the NCLEX. But along with the yearly checks on our scores we also get six-month scores and we gradually increased in ranks every six months. This past September’s reviews put us at the top compared to other schools.”

From there, the program began to make changes to help the students pass the test. The program changed from six semesters long to four, making the students take an exit examination before graduation and increasing the admissions requirements into the program as a whole.

To help the students while in the program tutoring became available to all students. Facilities set up a mentoring program and have set up assistance for students who have test anxiety.

“I feel that all of the new things are probably working. It makes me feel better about being accepted into the program here and then passing after graduation,” said junior Nursing major Krystal Linn.

Although the changes have helped the program achieve their goal and change the conditional status of the program, Reyes had a different idea of what truly made it happen.

“It was all the students. None of this could have happened without their hard work and dedication to this program. I also feel that it was the support of the school and the fact that the administration never stopped believing in us. “