WT Buffs shutout TAMUC Lions in season finale

The WTAMU Buffalo football team hosted the Texas A&M-Commerce Lions on Nov. 12. WT’s seniors largely contributed to the 49-0 victory on their final game.

The Buffs took advantage of two interceptions by senior Caleb Randolph to take a 21-0 lead after the first quarter. After Randolph’s first pick, sophomores Dustin Vaughn and Lance Ratliff hooked up for an 82 yard touchdown to give WT a 7-0 lead with 9:13 remaining in the quarter. The Buffs took advantage of Randolph’s second interception when Vaughn hit Ratliff again, this time for a 19 yard score that put WT up 21-0 with 1:48 left in the first.

“They had a couple tendencies. [Randolph] watched some film and exploited them for two picks,” said defensive coordinator Colby Carthel.Senior Brittan Golden would take over the game in the second. Backup quarterback Luke Halpin found Golden for an 11 yard touchdown to give the Buffs a 28-0 with 10:01 to go before the half. Halpin connected with Golden again for a 43 yard score to give WT a 35-0 lead they would take to the locker room.

After sophomore Curtis Slater intercepted the Lions’ Ryan Lusby on the first play of the third, Halpin hit Golden for the third time, this time from 24 yards, to take the Buffs’ score to 42-0 just 55 seconds in. WT’s offense would become stagnant until the 3:56 mark in the fourth quarter when freshman fourth-string quarterback David Lehockey hit sophomore Sidney Parker for a 32 yard strike to give the Buffs the 49-0 win.

Vaughn went six of 13 passing for 184 yards and two touchdowns, while Halpin finished 12 for 21 with 187 yards and three scores. Senior Tommy Hampton led the rushing attack with five carries for 48 yards. Ratliff finished the day with three catches for 145 yards and two touchdowns and Golden had four receptions for 138 yards and three scores.

WT finished the year with a 7-3 overall record and a 6-2 mark in the Lone Star Conference.