LEAD WT program offering student opportunities

“LEAD WT: Leadership, Education, And Development” is the newest addition among WTAMU’s Student Affairs programs.

The program is designed to prepare students for real world situations in which they will have to step up as leaders, as well as receive college credits for participating. It requires 60 hours of participation, breaking down into 15 hours a semester, one hour a week. Applications are being accepted through March 9, and students must fit a specific criteria.

“We’re really targeting juniors and seniors with a 2.75 or higher GPA, that are not on scholastic or disciplinary probation, and also have at least four long semesters ahead of them,” Amber Black, coordinator of LEAD WT and Student Success Center manager, said.  “We’re accepting 25 students this semester and 25 next, so when the program is up and going, we will have 50 students participating.”The students are expected to complete approved coursework hours that correspond with their major.

“Even if your major does not provide the hours, you’re still qualified,” said Black. “For example, if you were a Music major and they didn’t have leadership courses, you could do your hours with maybe the business program.”

The course itself is brand new, thanks to a grant from the Texas Pioneer Foundation. It also involves an approved internship and a project on campus. The expectation of the project is to solve the problem, meet the need, and use your knowledge on the subject matter to tackle real world issues.

“It’s really neat; the programs walks students through three main areas: academic, student service, and real world application,” said Black. “I really love that we are pushing students to do things they’d do anyway in a work place after they graduate college. We’re getting them ready so they can feel confident.”

Dr. Albrecht, Vice President of Student Affairs, is currently supervising the program.

“I’m excited,” he said. “This will give students amazing training and amazing credentials when looking for a job. If I were hiring someone and saw someone coming out of this program apply, I would prefer them over someone that wasn’t, because students are gaining lots of important skills.”

According to Dr. Albrecht, students should consider applying to LEAD WT.

“I think students should be thinking about it,” he said. “It’s a terrific program, especially with Amber and Dr. Kieth running it- it’ll be top notch.”

So far, the program has some students intrigued.

“I’m just a stinkin’ Pre-Med cowboy. If this helps me get further in the right direction, I’m in,” Pre-Med major Ryan Zink said.

“I’m really looking into applying,” Freshman Tyler Renteria said. “It sounds like an awesome experience and could provide a lot of connections for the future.