Designated fee increase to affect student tuition

WTAMU students may have to pay for an additional fee, which will increase tuition in the fall of 2012.

Gary Barnes, vice president for Business and Finance, explained the purpose of additional fees in a public hearing held Feb. 28.

“Basically, the Chancellor is allowing a maximum of $150 dollars to be added to student tuition, to be added under ‘Designated Tuition,’” Barnes said.  “One of our top priorities would be salary increase. We want the most competitive staff, the best faculty, the best experience for students, and retaining all the members of staff.”

WT staff positions were found to be 15 percent below the market compared to Canyon and Amarillo staff positions, according to a salary survey.“The second priority would [also be] for additional faculty positions,” Barnes said.

Employment in sociology programs and in environmental, electrical and civil engineering programs would be made available.

“No one likes an increase, but most students attending the meeting accepted the priorities,” Barnes said.  “[Students with financial aid] wouldn’t need to worry.  Federal Financial Aid Grants and Pell Grants would allow those students to have resources.”

Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Don Albrecht said WT keeps low prices for such high quality.

“I think we can keep up with the bigger schools just as fine,” Albrecht said.  “Bigger schools focus on doing everything and having students pay more, but we focus on what we can do well.”

Nick Goettsche, a Political Science major and new student body president, mentioned the importance of student participation in public meetings.

“Not very many students were at the hearing, and nobody likes a tuition pike,” Goettsche said.  “In this case, with state funding not being very high, it is necessary.”