WTAMU students unaware of degree plan process

Priority registration began on April 1. Students all over campus are signing up for classes and getting degree plans finalized.

WT students must file a degree plan after completing 60 hours. According to a survey of 50 students, 30 upperclassmen and 20 underclassmen, most upperclassmen are familiar with the advising process, but underclassmen seem to struggle with the process.

Carlos Aguirre, a student worker at the Student Success Center, said freshmen and sophomores need the most assistance.

“We don’t get many questions about degree plans, upperclassmen know what to do. But the freshmen and sophomores have no clue,” Aguirre said.  “[We] have a good process on informing people on how to register themselves.”Jordan Smith, a junior Advertising and Public Relations major, said Advising Services is a big help.

“I’m not quite sure when the sign ups are for me, but I know I can check with Advising Services and they are always helpful,” Smith said.

Frankie Sanchez, a senior Broadcasting major, said he appreciates the assistance.

“Registration has always been awesome for me,” Sanchez said.  “I only had one big mess up, and that was my own fault. But I got into what I needed and the advisors were really helpful.”

The survey shows that across the board, most people have good feelings about the registration process. However, students still have issues when it comes to filing their degree plans.

“I filed for my degree plan last summer and I just now got it,” said Jordan Smith. “If I had known it would take this long to get it, I would have applied sooner. It would have been helpful to have when planning for my last two semesters.”

Most students are unaware that they can apply before reaching the 60-hour mark.

“[We] encourage students to apply for their degree plans before they reach 60 hours, but most just forget or wait until they have to,” said Carlos Aguirre.

Sanchez said he updates his degree plan often.

“I update my degree plan, once a semester, or at least once a year, to keep track of it,” said Sanchez.  “Everyday, I have a fear that they missed something and I won’t get to graduate.”