Honors Banquet names Man and Woman of the Year

Local News Story. Art by Chris Brockman.

A keyboard, bass and saxophone played softly as the thirty-fourth annual University Honors Banquet commenced. CORE Roundtable and The Leadership Board worked together to bring the banquet to the JBK Legacy Hall on Friday, April 26.

“It was really a lot of prep work, but it went really smoothly,” said Kirby Weaver, President of the Leadership Board. “Nothing really fell on one person because The Leadership Board helped a lot.”
Members of The Leadership Board greeted guests as they came in until the banquet began with an introduction by Dr. Harry Hueston, professor of political science and criminal justice, followed by a warm welcome from Dr. Wade Shaffer, associate provost.

After the dinner started to wind down, Shaffer presented 84 recipients of Who’s Who Among Students in Amercan Universities and Colleges. Multiple scholarships were also awarded at the banquet, including a scholarship for single parents, Ruth Cross Scholarship and President’s Community Service Scholarship along with Organizational awards such as Greek Life Awards, Leadership Board Recognition, and President Ambassadors Recognition.

Randy Ray, advisor of KWTS, and Taylor Ritcherson of RHA, received the honors of Outstanding Organization Advisor, and the Outstanding Student Organization President went to Tanner Lakey of Phi Delta Theta and Nick Goettsche of Student Government. Outstanding Organization was awarded to Catholic Student Association and RHA.

The prestigious Presidential Order of the Silver Buffalo was presented to Aaron Mullane, WTAMU Football team, WTAMU Horse Judging Team, and Buffalo Advertising Team.

The most coveted award at the Honors Banquet was Man and Woman of the Year. Ten men were nominated and six women. The winners were Nick Goettsche of Student Government and Amanda Kraemer of PULSE.

“I’m really in shock,” Kraemer said as she sat down her award on a nearby table and her friends congratulated her.

Knowing the award is only given to those who make a difference in the WT community, Goettsche and Kraemer agreed that the only way to earn the prestigious award is to get involved.

“It’s such an honor,” Goettsche said. “It’s something I have been looking forward to all four years. I’m very blessed to have received many others. Get involved. Make big changes. Do big things. Reach for the stars, and don’t be afraid to fail.”