Friday classes begin this spring

The Prairie.

The Prairie.

WTAMU will extend many Monday and Wednesday classes to Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes in the spring of 2013.

“The main reason for this is to maximize the use of the classrooms,” said Dr. Wade Shaffer, Interim Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs. “The second reason is to make it a five-week campus where students are engaged and involved in activities all week.”

Student Body President Nick Goettsche, a Political Science major, agrees the change should spark renewed Buff spirit and appreciation.

“I think this change is smart on the part of the University, as it will encourage student involvement and participation,” said Goettsche. “The students will appreciate the value of having classes on Fridays, but it will take time.”

The decision was made by Dr. J. Patrick O’Brien late last spring and is a traditional concept for WT.

“Essentially the president made the decision sometime around April [2012],” said Dr. Shaffer. “When I started here we had Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes and dropped those about five years ago.”

Some students, like sophomore Tobie Browder, a Sports and Exercise Science major, believe this change will be beneficial.

“In high school, we had classes five days a week. So I know I’ll get used to it,” said Browder. “Overall, I think this is a smart way to get students to stay on campus.”

Along with the major change, Dr. Shaffer expressed importance in student feedback.

“Give it a chance, see if you like it,” said Shaffer. “If this doesn’t work out the way that we thought it would we’ll adjust it again until we get it right.”