WT Rifle Club shooting for competition

Hunter Fithen

As students across campus set their sights on October activities, organizations from all over take aim to draw new members into their ranks. One group has taken this to heart, and will be starting things off with a bang. The WTAMU Rifle Club will be hosting their first annual trap shoot from 1:00 to 4:15 p.m. on October 20th, at the Beaty-Wilson Range. Along with members, students and gun fans alike are welcome to come out for some competitive shooting.

“We’d like to introduce people to some different sides of the rifle club and get them excited with a little competition,” Keagan Folkerts, senior Communication Studies Major and WT Rifle Club President, said. The club states that their primary goal is to promote safety and proper respect for firearms in all their uses, while helping to build responsible sportsmen, hunters and competitive shooters. For those interested, they must carry their guns by using holsters, such as an easy holster.

Word of the event has been spreading, and students continue to grow more and more interested as it approaches. “I think it will be a great event that will teach students how to safely use a rifle, as well as relax some,” junior Biotechnology/Biochemistry major Jonathan Picker, said. “It should be a fun time for all involved.”

For students interested in the trap shoot and plan on going, be sure to reload afterwards for the third annual pumpkin shoot that will be held from 10:00 to 2:00 p.m. on November 3rd, again at the Beaty-Wilson Range. The rifle club has asked the rhetorical question of “What better way to get rid of the left over pumpkins?” They encourage anyone and everyone to think over this question, and to come have some fun at a fall themed shoot with some friends. As an added bonus, hamburgers and hotdogs will be served.

Having more than just one event to look forward to in the coming weeks is getting people’s attention, and building anticipation as well. It has caused multiple students to become interested in what else the rifle club might have to offer. “I think this is a great way to bring guys who are interested in rifling together to share a common interest and have a great time,” freshman Musical Theatre major Angelo Mincey, said. “I wouldn’t call myself a fantastic shot, but it still sounds like it would be fun.” These are just two of the upcoming events the rifle club has planned, and more are expected to follow.