WTAMU students enjoy other sports aside football

It is the fall semester, and all eyes are mostly locked onto one sport: football games. The rhetoric behind this transcends beyond college football. To others, it is a continuation of tradition.

The Buffs hosted their season opener and first home game with Texas College on Aug. 30. The Buffs won the game with a 73-0 score line. The stadium was filled with students, family and friends, staff and faculty. The Maroon Platoon were present to cheer the Buffs on as well.

As exciting as football may be, there are some students who feel lost in the attention given to football during this time of season. Some would prefer to do other sports, where they can be seen and appreciated.

“I really like playing volleyball, racket ball and just playing cornhole with my friends,” said Danielle Alquist, a psychology major. “It kind of developed once I hit college because back home, we didn’t really have these sports going on. Coming to WT allowed me to branch out.”

The Virgil Henson Activity Center, (A.C.) has a lot of sports and fitness activities it offers students. The A.C. offers gym, swimming, and corn hole sessions that students can enjoy. Recreational (REC) Sports also organizes activities to keep students and staff active.

“I play tennis, I do professional photography and videography,” said Ky Cornnel, a media communication major. “I like watching baseball, golf, basketball, and the Olympics.”

Some students tend to get creative, by forming groups that allow them to play games together. Studying, to them, can always be mixed with a touch of sports. Despite individual preferences for sports, most students of West Texas A&M University throw their weight behind the Buffs during games- together we stand, divided we fall.

“I do like to watch football, but I also like to watch other sports like hockey, soccer every now and then and baseball,” said Avery Glenn, a general business major. “I always watched football as a kid, like the Vikings with my grandpa, and I’ve been going to WT games ever since I was a kid.”