Homecoming nominations how-to

Infographic by Jo Early

Nominations for Homecoming Court are open on BuffLink through Sept. 26 at 5 p.m. Each active student organization can submit nominations for one King and one Queen to represent them during Homecoming elections on Oct. 10 and 11, and the winners will be announced at the Homecoming game on Oct. 14.  

Homecoming court finalists will be announced Oct. 13 at the Pigskin Revue Pep Rally. The Pigskin Revue is held at 8 p.m. at the WT Fieldhouse “The Box”. Homecoming week offers many events for students to show Buff pride.  

“I would like to say that Homecoming is an important campus tradition, contributing to the student, alumni, staff, faculty and any university-associated experience,” Student Body Chief Justice Chloe Barham said. 

Student elections are overseen by the judicial branch of the Student Government Association. 

“The Judicial Branch’s handling of elections utilizes and emphasizes the impartial characteristics of the branch in order to ensure fair and equal elections processes for candidates and voters,” Barham said.  

All homecoming nominees must attend the 2023 Homecoming Honorary Elections Election Code Meeting in the Maroon Room of the Jack B. Kelly Student Center on Sept. 26 at 5 p.m. There, nominees will learn about the WT Election Code.  

“Knowledge of the election code is intended to create as fair and compliant elections as possible by holding candidates and any campaigning on their behalf accountable to the procedures set in the Code. Candidates learn about what is permitted during their campaign, who can campaign, where they can campaign and what the election process looks like,” Barham said.  

Nominees will also learn what could disqualify them from the elections at the election code meeting.  

“There are multiple reasons a nominee could be disqualified, including extreme overspending beyond the campaign limit, defaming a candidate or other university entity, or sabotaging an election,” Barham said. “There are very few things that would automatically disqualify a candidate from an election, and the Student Judicial Board would have discretion over all matters relating to breaking the Election Code.” 

Students can email Student Body Chief Justice Chloe Barham at [email protected] with any questions about student elections or election procedures. Chloe Barham speaks as Student Body Chief Justice but not on behalf of the entirety of the Student Government Association.