Nursing program undergoes curriculum changes

Web Editor’s Note: This story was written for the MCOMM 3309 – News Editing & Reporting Class

Despite the rumors circulating around the conditional status that was placed on the West Texas A&M University Nursing program, it is not closing. The program is in the process of rearranging its curriculum to better prepare its students not only for their NCLEX, the test to become licensed, but to better equip them when they enter the medical field.In April of 2008, WTAMU’s testing percentage dropped from the recommended 80 percent wanted by the state to an estimated 77 percent. The status of the school’s yearly passing rates is well over 95 percent, but that’s not necessarily on the first try. The Texas Board of Nursing sets the 80 percent mark for students taking the test and passing it the first time.

“The industry standard is to pass the NCLEX within one year of graduation,” Dr. Dirk Nelson, dean of Nursing, said. “Our first time pass rates have become a concern for the Board of Nursing, but our students still pass the NCLEX within one year at about 97 percent, which is really good. But the crux of concern from the Texas Board of Nursing is that first time pass rate, even if it’s slightly off.”WT’s program has a high pass rate but with the difficulty of the test, some require taking it twice before passing.

“Ninety-five to ninety-six percent of them are still passing. This is the difference and I don’t know why nursing is this way, but when you look at having to take the bar exam, CTA or anything else, you’re not penalized. They know that the test is hard and you really have to be on your game to pass, and I don’t know why the powers above make it different,” College of Nursing Department Head Helen Reyes said.

The nursing program’s conditional status has only affected allowing students to be accepted into the actual nursing program. However, it was enough for Darren Darthard to change majors.

“I changed because of the testing percentages,” Darthard, a new junior Mass Communications major, said.

“We have heard rumors about students being worried that they will have to go to another school to be accepted into a nursing program because we are closing. We aren’t closing,”  Reyes said. “What that conditional status really means is that we aren’t allowed to accept any new students as of right now. It doesn’t affect the admission cycle because we had already admitted for the fall and by the time we go back to admit for the spring we will have gone back to the board.”

Although the status of the program was changed because of a few students having to take the test twice, the nursing program has started making changes through a new curriculum, and the passing rate is up to 93 percent.

Altogether the status has not hurt the program’s credibility, Nelson said. Over the summer the program sent out letters to students and parents to let them know what this meant for them and the program as a whole.

“I haven’t had an overwhelming response from students or families but the few I have had have been positive,” Nelson said.

Nelson explained that he has been as transparent about the situation as he can be and even talked to parents at each new student orientation to let them know all is well.

Because of the dates [September to September] that the board reviews each school’s scores and statuses, WT’s program will be reviewed again in October. Both Nelson and Reyes said they feel confident that everything will be restored.

“I’m not too worried about it now. I have talked to the dean and my advisor and they both say that the nursing program is improving on their scores and doing the best they can,” Krystal Linn, a Pre-Nursing junior, said.