CORE office helps students get involved

Web Editor’s Note: This story was written for the MCOMM 3309 – News Editing & Reporting Class

The CORE Office at West Texas A&M offers many resources for both individuals and organizations. CORE stands for Campus Organizations, Resources, and Entertainment.

Any organization on campus has the opportunity to register with the CORE office. Three student consultants work specifically with these organizations.

PULSE is the peer education sector of the office. They provide programs to public schools in the area and campus organizations with topics ranging from leadership to alcohol awareness.  They host many alcohol-alternative events, like karaoke, for students looking for ways to have non-alcoholic fun.  The student workers in CORE are certified peer educators.

“Studies show that students are more willing to talk to a peer than counselors,” Stephanie Brackett, assistant director of Student Activities and Peer Educator Advisor, said.

The CORE office can help organizations recruit and retain members. If an individual approaches the CORE office looking for a way to get involved on campus, one of the consultants will match his interests with the profile of any organization registered.

The CORE Roundtable is a monthly lunch to which all organizations are required to send one representative. This lunch serves as a time for the CORE office to present any new information regarding policy, but the main purpose is to help all the organizations stay on the same page with current events.

Collegiate Link is a new website CORE is asking organizations to use. The website can be used to share documents such as organizational constitutions, presentations and pictures amongst members, and can be used for voting as well. Students can also log service hours for their organization.

“If you need a resume, we can print off all your service hours and the positions you’ve held in all organizations and combine them into one sheet,” Amanda Kraemer, student consultant for Peer Education and PULSE President, said.

Other areas in the CORE Office include Diversity, Student Activities, and Entertainment. Diversity focuses mainly on highlighting different cultures by giving WT students a taste of that culture in the JBK. Entertainment is responsible for activities like the video-game challenge, Battle of the Bands, the annual Homecoming Concert, and bringing other acts to campus, like a comedian who will be here in November.

Miguel Sosa, who works with Student Activities, listed several events such as kickball and free movie nights and novelty events such as making leather bracelets that are sponsored by the CORE office that many students may not realize.

“No two days are the same,” Sosa said.

The CORE office also reaches out to the community whenever possible. They helped put on Buff-a-Rama, a safety day for children, on September 24. They also put on the Halloween carnival, a safe alternative to trick-or-treating on Halloween.

Though the CORE office is already highly involved on campus, Brackett said they would love to help more students find the right fit for an organization to join. The CORE Office is also open to co-hosting events with organizations.