“Design Tomorrow, Today” camp opens for registration

The WTAMU Engineering and Computer Science department opened registration for its high school summer camp, “Designing Tomorrow, Today,” for area high school students.

The camp will run from June 10-15 on the WT campus and is open for any high school student ages 14 and up.

“The camp gives student an idea of what they’ll actually be doing as engineers and gives them an idea of how the campus here works,” Rhonda Dittfurth, outreach coordinator for the Engineering and Computer Science department, said.Students that enroll in the camp will participate in engineering and computer science projects. In previous years, students have mixed chemicals to make snake fireworks and modified a golf cart to run off of solar panels, building rockets and bridges.

“The WT camp allows students to get hands-on with the department with projects, and know what it takes to be an engineer,” Matthew Odom, junior Mechanical Engineering major said, “Some freshman come in and get burned out because they don’t know what it takes.”

The camp teaches high school students about more than just hands-on projects.

“(The camp) showed us what we do as engineers and the kind of ideals that we have, such as, not trying to reinvent the world, but trying to improve the world,” Jordan Reed, a sophomore Pre-Engineering major who attended the camp four years ago, said.

For more information on the camp contact Rhonda Dittfurth at 806-651-2510, or by email at [email protected].