Op/Ed: Partying during the pandemic

Graphic by Alyssa Gonzales

Students must now pose the question: Is partying really worth the risk?

One common concept that many (but not all) experience at least once in their time in college is a college party. A large group of people sweating profusely in a small area yelling over loud music may sound like the dream to some. To others, not so much.

With that being said, the world has been flipped upside down by a small problem named COVID-19. Many students across the country were sent home and enrolled at Zoom University after colleges around the country closed in March. As students have started to return in the fall, things have started to look much different, or at least they should.

Many come to college to receive an education, meet new people, find themselves, and you know…to party. Partying isn’t the central idea of college and shouldn’t be the main reason why people attend any university. However for a number of students, going out with friends and attending parties becomes part of their weekend routine.

Along with students returning back to campus, several guidelines and restrictions have been put into place throughout campus that require and encourage social distancing and wearing a mask.

Amid all of the coronavirus madness, there’s a tough pill that many may find hard to swallow. College kids will most likely not stop partying or going out. They most likely understand what is happening and know the risks of going out. However, they don’t really seem to have an issue with it nor do they necessarily care about what could potentially happen.

It would only be fair to see both sides in this situation. On one hand, students come to college with hopes of creating a new social life, meeting new people and of course going out from time to time. Would it be realistic to expect that every student is going to take all of this seriously and not go out and potentially put themselves and others at risk? No.

On the other hand, the possibility of students being asymptomatic and potentially spreading the virus to others is probable. Students should consider the risks of going out. However, at this point, there is no way to really control or monitor what each student on campus or attending class can do or go.

Granted, a small get together among friends doesn’t seem as harmless. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) mentioned “The more people an individual interacts with at a gathering and the longer that interaction lasts, the higher the potential risk of becoming infected with COVID-19 and COVID-19 spreading.” However, the chances of people getting a head count at each individual at a college party are slim to none.

As infuriating as it may be for some to see people going out every weekend, it’s completely up to the discretion of each student. What each individual chooses to do is their own decision. This pandemic has undoubtedly brought about a number of changes and will continue to do so.

Though everyone is entitled to their own opinion, students must also consider the rules and guidelines that must be followed that have been implemented by the university. All of the information needed regarding WTAMU and COVID-19 can be found here.