WT School of Music to Celebrate Exemplary Student Musicians at Three Recitals 

Chip Chandler

Photo provided by WT Communication and Marketing

Copy by Chip Chandler, 806-651-2124, [email protected]  

CANYON, Texas — West Texas A&M University’s School of Music will put the spotlight on outstanding student soloists at a trio of upcoming concerts. 

Students, to be selected by music faculty, will perform at 4 p.m. April 25 and April 26 in showcase recitals. The chosen students will represent woodwinds, brass, percussion, keyboard, voice and guitar areas of instruction. 

Then, the annual Honors Recital will take place at 7:30 p.m. April 26, featuring award-winning students from each discipline. 

“The Honors Recital allows us to reward the student musicians who have proven themselves to be amazingly talented young artists,” said Dr. Robert Hansen, Regents Professor of Music and director of the School of Music. “The recitals had been interrupted by the pandemic and by construction in the recital hall before that, so we are greatly looking forward to resuming this longstanding tradition.” 

Honor scholarship winners also will be announced and presented. 

The recitals each will be held in Mary Moody Northen Recital Hall on WT’s Canyon campus. Admission is free. 

Call 806-651-2840 for information. 

Fostering an appreciation of the arts is a key component of the University’s long-range plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World. 

That plan is fueled by the historic, $125 million One West comprehensive fundraising campaign. To date, the five-year campaign — which publicly launched Sept. 23 — has raised about $110 million. 

WT is located in Canyon, Texas, on a 342-acre residential campus. Established in 1910, the University has been part of The Texas A&M University System since 1990. WT, a Hispanic Serving Institution since 2016, boasts an enrollment of about 10,000 and offers 59 undergraduate degree programs, more than 35 master’s degrees and two doctoral degrees. The University is also home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the largest history museum in the state and the home of one of the Southwest’s finest art collections. The Buffaloes are a member of the NCAA Division II Lone Star Conference and offers 14 men’s and women’s athletics programs.