WT Soil Judging Team Heading to Nationals for Second Year

Donald G. McGahan
Members and coaches of the victorious West Texas A&M University soil judging team are, back from left, Christian Lockhart, Alex Kuehler, Mia Key, Tessa Barrett, Dayson Schacher, Paden Markham and Riley Siders; and, front, from left, Kassidy Langley, Payton George, Sanjuana “Bela” Juarez, Cristian Camacho, assistant coach Cade Bednarz, Tyler Schneider and coach and instructor Lauren Selph.

CANYON, Texas — For a second consecutive year, West Texas A&M University’s soil judging team has qualified for nationals.

The WT team placed second in the Region IV Collegiate Soil Judging competition held Oct. 16 to 20 in Lubbock. WT outranked No. 3 Texas A&M University and just behind the winner, the University of Arkansas. The WT team also placed second in the team pit competition, where the team works together to characterize a soil pit.

The team will compete in nationals in April in Ames, Iowa.

WT’s first trip to nationals took place in April. The team was formed in 2020.

“Soil judging is a challenging contest. Students are expected to develop soil and landscape characterizations at the level of a well-seasoned professional,” said Lauren Selph, plant, soil and environmental sciences instructor in the Paul Engler College of Agriculture and Natural Sciences. “Our team chose to add additional practices to their weekly schedule this semester to further develop their technical skills and their dedication paid off in the contest. I am proud to coach this outstanding group of students.”

Soil judging is a competitive activity through which students develop skills relevant to careers in soil conservation, soil science, agronomy, agricultural education and more. During a contest, students describe basic soil morphology, geomorphology and landscape characteristics. Their characterizations are then scored relative to those generated by soil science professionals in the contest region.

Students ranking in the Top 10 in individual results include Paden Markham, a senior plant, soil and environmental sciences major from Wheeler, who ranked fourth; Tessa Barrett, a senior agriculture education major from Plainview, who ranked fifth; Dayson Schacher, a junior plant, soil and environmental sciences major from Nazareth, who ranked sixth; Payton George, a senior agriculture education major from Azle, who ranked seventh; and Riley Siders, a junior plant, soil and environmental sciences major from Levelland, who ranked 10th.

Team members also include Alex Kuehler, a senior plant, soil and environmental sciences major from Groom; Cristian Camacho, a junior plant, soil and environmental sciences major from Booker; and Kassidy Langley, a junior agriculture education major from Hico.

Alternates are Christian Lockhart, a junior plant, soil and environmental sciences major from Memphis; Mia Key, a sophomore agriculture education major from Mansfield; Sanjuana “Bela” Juarez, a sophomore plant, soil and environmental sciences major from Plainview; and Tyler Schneider, a senior plant, soil and environmental sciences major from Cope, Colorado.

Selph is joined by Cade Bednarz, a graduate plant, soil and environmental sciences major student from Lubbock, on the coaching staff.

Developing excellent educational opportunities, both inside and outside the classroom, is a key mission of the University’s long-range plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

That plan is fueled by the historic One West comprehensive fundraising campaign, which reached its initial $125 million goal 18 months after publicly launching in September 2021. The campaign’s new goal is to reach $175 million by 2025; currently, it has raised more than $150 million.