WT’s Online Programs Continue to Rank Highly in Prestigious U.S. News Rankings

CANYON, Texas — West Texas A&M University’s online bachelor’s program ranked No. 45 in the nation and No. 3 in Texas, according to newly released 2024 rankings from U.S. News & World Report.

Several undergraduate and graduate programs also rank highly state- and nationwide in the new standings, with 11 total programs earning the magazine’s coveted Best Program status: online bachelor’s programs, online bachelor’s programs for veterans, online undergraduate business programs, online MBA, online MBA for veterans, and graduate programs in computer information technology, criminal justice and public administration, education, engineering, business (non-MBA) and nursing.

Statewide, WT’s online bachelor’s program is behind only Texas A&M University and the University of North Texas.

“We appreciate the consistent external recognition of our online programs,” said Dr. Neil Terry, provost and executive vice president of academic affairs. “The dedication of the faculty and staff at West Texas A&M University is a driving force behind the success of our outstanding academic programs, stretching back more than 25 years. With the anticipated opening of the Geneva Schaeffer Education Building, our new hub for innovation and distance learning, we are in an excellent position to continue as a national leader.”

Each of the 11 WT programs ranked in the top third of U.S. News & World Report’s rankings.

Of particular note: The graduate program in computer information technology rose to No. 14 from No. 16 (and No. 4 in Texas); the graduate program in criminal justice and public administration rose to No. 17 from No. 30 (and No. 3 in Texas); the graduate program in engineering rose to No. 37 from No. 41 (and No. 3 in Texas); the graduate program in nursing rose to No. 49 from No. 55 (and No. 7 in Texas); and the undergraduate business program rose to No. 83 from No. 88 (and No. 6 in Texas).

Among programs for veterans, WT is the top-ranked school in Texas for online bachelor’s programs and No. 5 among Texas schools for online MBA for veterans.

Since 1997, WT has been a pioneer in online learning, fundamentally because it offers students in the Panhandle region and beyond easier access to higher education.

The ranked programs represent WT’s Graduate School, the Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business, the Terry B. Rogers College of Education and Social Sciences, the College of Engineering and the College of Nursing and Health Sciences.

U.S. News evaluated schools based on a variety of factors, such as student engagement, faculty credentials, and services and technologies.

In its 12th year, the U.S. News Best Online Programs is designed for individuals looking to complete or further their education. This year’s edition evaluates more than 1,600 online bachelor’s and master’s degree programs using metrics specific to online learning. The rankings only include degree-granting programs offered primarily online by regionally accredited institutions.

“Choosing the right online degree program can unlock a world of opportunities,” says LaMont Jones, managing editor for education at U.S. News. “The rankings and related resources U.S. News offers will help equip students with data to make choices that align with their unique needs, paving the way for educational and professional fulfillment.”

The included programs in the Engler College of Business have been recognized as part of the Best Program rankings for 12 consecutive years.

Prospective students can see how WT compares to other institutions and how the rankings are calculated on USNews.com.

For more information on the Best Online Programs, explore Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), Instagram and use #BestOnline.

WT’s commitment to being a learner-centered university is a key component of the University’s long-term plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

That plan is fueled by the historic One West comprehensive fundraising campaign, which reached its initial $125 million goal 18 months after publicly launching in September 2021. The campaign’s new goal is to reach $175 million by 2025; currently, it has raised more than $150 million.

About U.S. News & World Report

U.S. News & World Report is the global leader in quality rankings that empower consumers, business leaders and policy officials to make better, more informed decisions about important issues affecting their lives and communities. A multifaceted digital media company with Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News, Real Estate, Careers and 360 Reviews platforms, U.S. News provides rankings, independent reporting, data journalism, consumer advice and U.S. News Live events.