‘Super Women’ of Music Focus of Upcoming WT Panel Discussion

West Texas A&M University’s Daniel Klaehn, from left, will lead the panel discussion “Super Women: A Panel on Women in Music” at 6 p.m. Nov. 9. Panelists will include Dr. Brian Ingrassia, WT associate professor of history; Jenny Inzerillo, music director and host for High Plains Public Radio; Amy Hart, FM90 program director; and Johnny Black, afternoon DJ and content director at 100.9 The Eagle.

CANYON, Texas — Amarillo radio luminaries will take part in a West Texas A&M University panel discussion on the ways female musicians have shaped culture through music.

“Super Women: A Panel on Women in Music” will begin at 6 p.m. Nov. 9 in the Sybil B. Harrington Fine Arts Complex on WT’s Canyon campus.

Presented by the WT Writing Center, the discussion is free and open to the public.

Panelists will include Johnny Black, afternoon DJ and content director at 100.9 The Eagle; Jenny Inzerillo, music director and host for High Plains Public Radio; Amy Hart, FM90 program director; and Dr. Brian Ingrassia, WT associate professor of history.

“I traditionally use music as the text for one of my English courses,” said Daniel Klaehn, Writing Center director and instructor of rhetoric, composition and technical communication in WT’s Department of English, Philosophy and Modern Languages. “This semester, my course is titled ‘The Super Woman,’ where I utilize artists such as Dolly Parton, Destiny’s Child and Tracy Chapman to shape conversations around cultural, workplace and relational issues.”

Panelists will discuss share insights into popular female artists.

“Audiences will learn from these experts about both historical and current issues facing women in music, especially how those issues exist in the Texas Panhandle,” Klaehn said. “We want to encourage people to learn about others through music, and, ultimately, we hope people will write their own stories.”

The WT Writing Center offers students assistance for specific writing challenges, hoping to promote good writing across disciplines. In addition to proofreading for errors, the center offers feedback and guidance.

Fostering an appreciation of the arts is a key component of the University’s long-range plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

That plan is fueled by the historic One West comprehensive fundraising campaign, which reached its initial $125 million goal 18 months after publicly launching in September 2021. The campaign’s new goal is to reach $175 million by 2025; currently, it has raised more than $150 million.