Historian to Present Alternative History of Friendship in the American West 

1910 PR

Photo provided by WTAMU Communication and Marketing

Copy by 1910 PR, [email protected]

CANYON, Texas — Historian Stephen Aron will give the Panhandle an alternative look into the American West at an upcoming event.

Aron will speak at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 30, in Legacy Hall in the Jack B. Kelley Student Center and on Zoom. His discussion is part of the Center for the Study of the American West’s Garry L. Nall Lecture in Western Studies and the West Texas A&M University Distinguished Lecture Series.

Aron’s presentation, “Peace and Friendship: An Alternative History of the American West,” will give attendees a tour through the American frontiers, from the American Revolution to the 1880s and from the Appalachians to the Pacific. Attendees will hear instances in which conflicting groups overcame their differences, at least for a while.

To attend the Sept. 30 presentation via Zoom, register here: bit.ly/csaw_aron.

Aron also will give a student-focused presentation on professional issues and leadership at 3 p.m. Sept. 30 in the Maroon Room in the JBK Center. Students may register here: wtamu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJckdOCupj0iGdNzZLoNBPB-o6jWmoCSLMAx.

Aron’s presentations are reflective of WT’s new One West campaign, a comprehensive fundraising drive designed to fuel the University’s long-term plan,WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

Aron serves as president and CEO of the Autry Museum of the American West and as a professor emeritus at the University of California Los Angeles. His focal areas of expertise include the history of frontiers, borderlands and the American West.

Aron’s “Peace and Friendship” book, scheduled for publication in 2022 by Oxford University Press, will feature historical figures Daniel Boone, William Clark, Wyatt Earp and others, and will examine alternative histories that are often forgotten or misremembered.

Other books by Aron include “The American West: A Very Short Introduction” (2015), “American Confluence: The Missouri Frontier from Borderland to Border State” (2006), and “How the West Was Lost: The Transformation of Kentucky from Daniel Boone to Henry Clay” (1996). He also co-authored “Worlds Together, Worlds Apart: A History of the World from the Beginnings of Humankind to the Present” (2002) and co-edited “Trading Cultures: The Worlds of Western Merchants” (2001).

About Center for the Study of the American West and the Garry L. Nall Lecture Series

CSAW strives to educate about and increase appreciation for the American West. Honoring Dr. Garry L. Nall’s exceptional service to WT and his scholastic accomplishments, this Endowed Lecture Series supports CSAW’s mission to promote the study of the American West.

About WTAMU’s Distinguished Lecture Series

The Distinguished Lecture Series was created to enhance education in the classroom by inviting people of national prominence to speak to WTAMU students and the community about important issues. For information, visit wtamu.edu/about/events/distinguished-lecture-series.html.

WT is located in Canyon, Texas, on a 342-acre residential campus. Established in 1910, the University has been part of The Texas A&M University System since 1990. WT, a Hispanic Serving Institution since 2016, boasts an enrollment of about 10,000 and offers 60 undergraduate degree programs, 40 master’s degrees and two doctoral degrees. The University is also home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the largest history museum in the state and the home of one of the Southwest’s finest art collections. The Buffaloes are a member of the NCAA Division II Lone Star Conference and offers 14 men’s and women’s athletics programs.