WTAMU’s CSAW Wins Autry Public History Prize from Western History Association

Contact: Alex Hunt, 806-651-2457, [email protected]

CANYON, TXWest Texas A&M University’s Center for the Study of the American West has won the 2020 Autry Public History Prize from the Western History Association for its Red Dead University project.

The Autry Public History Prize is awarded annually for media exhibits, public programs or written works that contribute to a broader public reflection and appreciation of the past or serve as a model of professional public history practice in the history of the North American West. CSAW officially received the prize, which includes $1,000 as well as certificates for key personnel, on Oct. 16.

Red Dead University was an exhibit that allowed museumgoers to play Red Dead Redemption II, a video game set in the Old West, and compare the artifacts found in the game to their real-life counterparts. The project was a collaboration with the PanhandlePlains Historical Museum.

In addition to the exhibit, which was on view March 5 to Dec. 31, 2019, CSAW hosted a number of public events related to the project and coordinated student and faculty research projects focused on the game, on topics such as ludomusicology (the study of music in video games), ecology and cultural representation.

AJ McCormick, CSAW assistant director, said the project succeeded in inspiring student research.

“By the end of the project, we facilitated eight student presentations that resulted from the project, seven at academic conferences and one at AMA-CON,” McCormick said. “We are extremely proud of these students and that this project helped make these opportunities possible for them.”

Dr. Timothy Foster, CSAW associate director, said it was an honor to receive an award for a project that combined so many untraditional elements to reach students.

It’s a really nice surprise to win the award,” Dr. Foster said. “It’s nice to get some recognition for a project that some saw as kind of out there.”

Funding for Red Dead University was provided by West Texas A&M University and the Killgore Faculty Research Program.

Such projects are a component in WT’s goal of becoming a regional research university, as outlined in the University’s long-term plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World.

About the Center for the Study of the American West

CSAW was formed in the fall of 2016 with a mission of fostering the study of the American West at WTAMU and building bridges between the university, the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, and the regional populace. CSAW seeks to promote the American West both as a culturally unique region and a product of broad historical forces. For more information about CSAW and all upcoming events, please visit wtamu.edu/csaw.

About West Texas A&M University

WT is located in Canyon, Texas, on a 342-acre residential campus. Established in 1910, the University has been part of The Texas A&M University System since 1990. With enrollment of more than 10,000, WT offers 60 undergraduate degree programs, 38 master’s degrees and two doctoral degrees. The University is also home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, the largest history museum in the state and the home of one of the Southwest’s finest art collections. The Buffaloes are a member of the NCAA Division II Lone Star Conference and offers 15 men’s and women’s athletics programs.